Gingery chicken noodle soup
- 3 ounces dried soba noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 cups unsalted chicken stock or broth
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup plain soy milk (soya milk)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (fresh coriander)
Bring a saucepan 3/4 full of water to a boil, add the noodles and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside until needed.
In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until soft and translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the ginger and carrot and saute for 1 minute. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds; don't let the garlic brown. Add the stock and soy sauce and bring to a boil. Add the chicken and edamame and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked and the edamame are tender, about 4 minutes. Add the soba noodles and soy milk and cook until heated through; don't let boil.
Remove pan from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Ladle soup into warmed individual bowls and serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis (per serving)
|Total carbohydrate||16 g|
|Dietary fiber||2 g|
|Saturated fat||1 g|
|Total fat||5 g|
|Monounsaturated fat||2 g|
|Total sugars||4 g|
|Added sugars||0 g|